Reporting to the Executive Director, the News Director leads and manages the planning, production and presentation of Arlington Public News, supervises the news team and works in cooperation with staff, interns and volunteers to support the ACMi mission.
The responsibilities of the News Director include news planning, reporting, editing and production. The News Director helps define and maintain ethical, editorial, artistic and technical standards for news and news-related programs.
- Directs the activities of the Arlington Public News team to develop story ideas, track issues and events, select reporters for coverage, schedule stories for airing, and schedule time for interviewing, writing and editing.
- Serves as a primary editor to ensure news reports are produced in an effective, timely and responsible manner.
- Acts as a proactive liaison to various Arlington constituencies to promote ACMi’s news programming.
- Create and manage a weekly news program.
- Supervise interns, reporters and hosts on enterprising stories, and assist in improving their on-air performance.
- Work in collaboration with the Public Affairs Producer on special projects.
- Promote news content on social media platforms.
- Innovate new ways to tell stories utilizing new technology.
- A four-year degree in journalism or equivalent.
- Three years full-time professional experience in news journalism.
- Must have a broad knowledge of local and regional issues.
- Experience in television production, web content, news writing and news editing.
- Must have effective communication and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent on-line research and multimedia production skills.
- Understanding of community access television.
- Must have excellent memory for details and be able to meet deadlines while effectively handling multiple competing tasks.
Compensation: Commensurate with experience.
Application: Please send resume and links:
Norman J. McLeod
Arlington Community Media, Inc.
85 Park Avenue
Arlington, MA. 02476
Board of Directors
Job Description and Expectations
Mission: Arlington Community Media, Inc. (“ACMI”) is a nonprofit, membership-based organization dedicated to providing an electronic forum for the free exchange of information and ideas which reflect the talents, skills, interests, concerns and diversity of the Arlington community. In pursuit of this mission, ACMI:
- Manages facilities for community access TV programming on the Public, Educational, and Governmental (PEG) access channels on the Arlington Cable telecommunications systems
- Provides access to, and training in, telecommunications technology, including video, audio, and other media production, and computer communications
- Serves as a catalyst to facilitate and stimulate community discourse and provide leadership in the uses of telecommunications technology
Purpose: To advise, govern, oversee policy and direction, and assist with the leadership and general promotion of Arlington Community Media, Inc. in support of the organization’s mission and needs.
Major Responsibilities and Expectations:
- Consistent attendance at regular monthly Board meetings
- Preparation for regular board meetings by reading in advance and studying materials sent in advance regarding key actions the Board is expected to take at its next regular meeting
- Serve in specific assignments to carry out the mission of the organization
- Formulation and oversight of policies and procedures
- Financial management, including adoption and oversight of the annual budget and approval of major actions of the organization, including capital expenditures and program and service changes
- Exercise short and long-term organizational planning
- Provide strategic direction to the Executive Director
- Evaluate performance, development and compensation of the Executive Director
- Review and evaluate organizational and programmatic reports
- Provide candid and constructive criticism, advice, and comments
- Engage in the review of the Board’s performance annually
- Membership on a non-profit or for-profit board of directors
- Background or substantive knowledge of cable industry either from a management or production perspective
- Proven skills in accounting, finance or marketing
All interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to:
Mr. John D. Leone, President, ACMi Board of Directors,