In our latest episode of APN Reporter Mitch McLeod and Astronomer Bruce Ward brought you a variety of ways to view the upcoming solar eclipse. Many of the them, made right from materials you have at home. Here’s a resource list of sites where you can find detailed instructions to create your own viewer or purchase filters and glasses for safe viewing. Watch that episode here.
General Information on Monday, August 21 eclipse
How to Make a Pinhole Paper Camera
Optical Projection with binoculars or a Telescope
Local Suppliers of Welder’s Glass (#14 Welder’s Glass is safe for viewing an eclipse)
- Metro Welding Supply Co., Waltham
- Ito’s Welding Supply Co., Watertown
- Freser, Molloy, and Associates LLC, Charlestown
Where to Buy Solar Sunglasses
NASA recommends looking for the following information to be sure solar glasses are safe:
- “ISO” icon, including the ISO reference 12312-2
- One of the following American Astronomical Society verified producers of safe eclipse glasses: American Paper Optics, Baader Planetarium (AstroSolar Silver/Gold film only), Rainbow Symphony, Thousand Oaks Optical, and TSE 17.